Dear Chapter President,
On Monday, October 19, 2009,
IASP will officially launch the Global Year Against Musculoskeletal Pain to draw attention to the pain and suffering experienced by patients with musculoskeletal pain around the world. With its theme of “When Moving Hurts: Assess, Understand, Take Action,” this 2009–2010 campaign aims to stimulate greater awareness among health care professionals, researchers, government officials, and the general public about musculoskeletal pain and its significant impact on patients worldwide.
To announce this important initiative, IASP will distribute a press release on October 19 to media outlets and publications to generate coverage of the new campaign. The press release will highlight the rationale behind this year’s Global Year theme and introduce some of the planned activities and resources.
For example, we will have a series of Global Year Fact Sheets focusing on more than 20 specific topics related to our theme—availablein English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish, and various other languages thanks to the translation assistance we are receiving from our chapters! Also, several issues of IASP’s Pain: Clinical Updates newsletter over the next year will explore current topics related to musculoskeletal pain.
This year’s Global Year campaign will have some new features and support materials:
- Global Year Event Checklist
- An online discussion forum on musculoskeletal pain studies
- A Global Year poster in three sizes, available to download for free from the IASP website, and to print and display at your chapter meetings and Global Year events
- Video interviews (to be posted online) discussing several topics related to musculoskeletal pain
In addition, you may contact me if you would like me to send you the Global Year logo for your materials. Please also let me know if you would like us to translate the logo into a specific language for you.
We hope you will join us in supporting this important effort. Working together with your chapter and 81 others worldwide—and with the active participation of our members—we will make the 2009–2010 Global Year campaign a resounding success by:
- Disseminating information about musculoskeletal pain worldwide, with particular emphasis on developing countries.
- Educating pain researchers as well as health care professionals globally who see the issues associated with musculoskeletal pain first-hand in their interactions with patients.
- Increasing awareness of musculoskeletal pain among government officials, members of the media, and the general public worldwide.
- Encouraging government leaders, research institutions, and other key decision-makers to support more research, thus producing more effective and accessible treatment methods and outcomes for people with musculoskeletal pain.
Share Your Global Year News!
Please keep me informed of any planned Global Year events or activities that your chapter is sponsoring so we can post the details on the IASP website. If you have event announcements, posters, flyers, or other advance information on Global Year events in your country, please email them directly to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
After your event or meeting, please send me your photos (preferably JPG or GIF files) and samples of any media coverage you received. If possible, tell me the names of the people shown in the photos, too. Space permitting, we may even feature your story in the IASP Newsletter!
Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have about the Global Year and how you can help support this vital initiative. You can also reach me directly using the contact information below.
And finally, be sure to visit the Global Year website regularly for the latest news and resources:
Kiley N. Thornton
International Association for the Study of Pain
111 Queen Anne Avenue North, Suite 501
Seattle, WA 98109-4955 USA
13th World Congress on Pain: Montreal, Canada, August 29 – September 2, 2010